I. INTERCEDE WITH HUMILITY 6:12-13
- What was Solomon’s posture in prayer before God and all the people? 2 Chronicles 6:13
- Describe the posture in prayer of each of the following: the people and priests in 2 Chronicles 7:3; King Hezekiah in 2 Chronicles 29:29-30; Elijah in 1 Kings 18:42; Daniel in Daniel 6:10; Ezra in Ezra 9:5-6; Jesus in Luke 22:39-44; Peter in Acts 9:36-41; Paul and the Ephesian elders in Acts 20:36-38.
- What attitude do you think is symbolized by this posture?
- What attitude is singled out as a condition for God to hear our prayers for our nation? 2 Chronicles 7:14
- How does God respond to this attitude? Give phrases from: 2 Samuel 22:28; 1 Kings 21:29; 2 Chronicles 12:5-7; 33:1-2, 7-13; Psalm 18:27; 25:9; 149:4; Isaiah 66:2.
- What is your posture in prayer? What does it reveal about your attitude?
II. INTERCEDE WITH CERTAINTY 6:14-15
- Name at least four characteristics of God that Solomon was certain of as he prayed. 2 Chronicles 6:14-15
- Give phrases within the following prayers that reveal certainty in who God is: Daniel 9:4-15; Nehemiah 1:4-5; John 11:38-44; Acts 4:23-31; Ephesians 3:14-19; Jude 24-25.
- Why is certainty important? Hebrews 11:6; Matthew 17:14-21
- On whom did Jesus teach us to place our confidence in prayer? Matthew 6:9-10
- When you pray, on what is your confidence based? The length or eloquence of your prayer? Your spiritual maturity? Your education or status or position? Your church membership? Would you place your confidence instead on who God is?
III. INTERCEDE WITH AUTHORITY 6:16-17
- What was it that gave Solomon’s prayer authority in Heaven? 2 Chronicles 6:16-17
- How did Jacob exercise this authority in his prayer of Genesis 32:7-12?
- On what did Elijah base the authority for his prayer in 1 Kings 18:36?
- On what did Elijah base the authority for his prayer in 1 Kings 18:41-42? 1 Kings 18:1?
- What was the basis of Daniel’s authority in prayer in Daniel 9? Compare Daniel 9:2-4 with Jeremiah 29:10-12.
- How are we exhorted to pray in Psalm 119:49? 119:116?
- On what are your prayers based? On what you want? Or on His Word?
IV. INTERCEDE WITH CLARITY 6:18-21
- What was Solomon asking of God in 2 Chronicles 6:18-21?
- How clear were the requests of Abraham’s servant in Genesis 24:12-14? Asa’s request in 2 Chronicles 14:11? Daniel’s requests in Daniel 9:16-19? Nehemiah’s requests in Nehemiah 1:11?
- What specific things did Jesus pray for in John 17? List the phrases with verses.
- When you pray, how will you know when God answers unless you pray clearly and specifically?
What is one thing you believe God wants to do for this nation? Write out a prayer that follows the above pattern of humility, certainty, authority, and clarity. Then use it to intercede for our nation.
This Bible study was prepared especially for the Spring 2017 Newsletter.