All blessing comes from God. God has blessed you and me, as He did Abraham, so that we can be a blessing to others. We receive it from Him, then become a channel of His blessing to others. They, in turn, bless God with their praise and thanksgiving. The blessing that came from God is returned to God, who blesses even more. So…in being blessing-bearers, we are therefore blessed.
Read Numbers 6:24-26
I. THE BLESSING OF GOD THE FATHER Numbers 6:24
- What two things are revealed about God the Father in this verse?
- How are these two characteristics reflected in God’s title given in Psalm 80:1 and described in more detail in Psalm 23?
- List the things the Shepherd does for His sheep in Psalm 23. Which is most meaningful to you?
- Give phrases with verses that emphasize God’s determination to keep His children: Psalm 91:1-16; Psalm 121:1-8; Isaiah 41:10; Romans 8:38-39
- How does God’s determination to keep you give you comfort and security?
- List as many blessings as you can from Ephesians 1:3-14 that come from God the Father.
- What five blessings from this list are most meaningful to you? Thank Him for them.
- When has God kept you…from the enemy? From danger? From temptation? What else has He kept you from? Thank Him now.
II. THE BLESSING OF GOD THE SON Numbers 6:25
- What two characteristics of God the Son are revealed in this verse?
- What did Jesus Christ claim in John 14:9?
- Give phrases that use these characteristics to describe Jesus Christ as God the Son in John 1:18; Hebrews 1:3; 2 Corinthians 4:6; John 1:14-17
- Since Jesus put a “face” on God the Father, how would you describe the Father to a friend?
- What is there about Jesus that makes you love God the Father more?
III. THE BLESSING OF GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT Numbers 6:26
- What two characteristics of God the Spirit are revealed in this verse?
- How does the Spirit turn God’s face towards us? John 14:15-17; 16:13-15; Romans 5:1-5; John 14:26
- Where does real peace come from and how do you experience it? Isaiah 48:17-18; John 14:27; Philippians 4:6-7; Romans 8:6; 14:17; Galatians 5:22; Ephesians 5:18
- In what area of your life do you lack peace? Would you ask God to reveal to you why? Then surrender everything to the control of God the Holy Spirit, opening your heart to His river of peace that passes all understanding.
Today, pray Numbers 6:24-26 over someone—out loud, in their hearing. Bless them in the name of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Then take a few moments to offer a sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving to God from whom all blessings flow.
This Bible study was prepared especially for the Fall 2015 Newsletter.