The first century church experienced storms of persecution and suffering under the reign of the Roman emperors Nero and Domitian. To help the early Christians keep their focus on Christ so they could soar over the storms, God gave John a vision of His glory to impart to them which he recorded as the book of Revelation.
Read Revelation 1
I. SOARING THROUGH PROPHECY Revelation 1:1-3
- What do you think is one of the blessings which is promised in verse 3? See Romans 8:28; Titus 2:13.
- How is this blessing, beginning with Genesis 3:15, woven through Gen. 12:1-3; Deuteronomy 18:15; Isaiah 9:6; Isaiah 53:1-7; Micah 5:2; Zechariah 14:3-4, 9?
- How does the fact that God has a plan for the human race apply to your life especially when you are in the midst of a storm? Give the recurring phrase from Ephesians 3:20; 2 Corinthians 9:8; Hebrews 2:18; Hebrews 7:25; Jude 24; 2 Timothy 1:12; Philippians 3:21; Matthew 9:28-29.
- What does God’s ability mean to you? How does prophecy help you soar over the storms in your life? See Jeremiah 29:11; Philippians 1:6.
II. SOARING THROUGH PRAISE Revelation 1:4-8
- From Revelation 1:4-8, list as many characteristics of Christ as you can.
- Which is the most meaningful to you? Why?
- What to you is the difference between praise and thanksgiving? See 1 Chronicles. 23:30 and compare Psalm 138:2 with Psalm 107:22.
- When you pray, before you thank God for anything He has done or ask Him to do anything else, what will you praise Him for today?
- How does praise help you soar over the storms in your life? See Isaiah 61:3.
III. SOARING THROUGH PATIENT ENDURANCE Revelation 1:9-20
- From verse 9, what was John patiently enduring?
- What are some of the things we are also called to patiently endure? See I Peter 2:20-21; 1 Peter 4:19; Hebrews 6:9-12; Hebrews 10:34-39; Hebrews 12:7; 2 Timothy 4:1-5; I Corinthians 4: 12.; James 5:10; Romans 12:12.
- From Revelation 1:10-20, give several ways that John’s patient endurance was
- How does patient endurance help you soar over the storm? See 1 Corinthians 15:58 and 2 Corinthians 4:17.