Read Revelation 1:9-17
I. REFOCUS UNDER PRESSURE Revelation 1:9
- What type of pressure are you under? Is it emotional? physical? mental? material? social? financial
- From Revelation 1:9, what types of pressure do you think John experienced?
A. THE PRESSURE OF SUFFERING
- What were the two specific causes of John’s suffering in verse 9?
- Put each into your own words.
- In what way have you suffered in a similar fashion?
- In what other ways are you suffering?
B. THE PRESSURE OF SOLITUDE
- Describe the highlights of John’s life from the following verses (John is sometimes referred to as the beloved disciple.) John 1:1-2, 14; Mark 1:19-20; John 9:1-8; Mark 9:2-7; John 11:7, 16-17, 38-44;
Matthew 26:36-38; John 19:25-27; John 20:1-8; Acts 1:1-11; Acts 2:1-4; Acts 3:1-10.
- How was John’s life different on Patmos?
- Have you ever had to make a similar transition?
- What is your Patmos?
- Do you think John would have received the vision of the glory of Christ had he not been on Patmos?
II. REFOCUS THROUGH PATIENCE
A. PATIENCE IN YOUR ATTITUDE
- From verse 10, what was John’s attitude when under pressure, on Patmos?
- What does I Peter 1:6-9 say our attitude should be when under pressure? I Peter 2:20-25? I Peter 4:12-19?
- What is your attitude when under pressure?
- How do you think Proverbs 3:3-6 might help you adjust your attitude? Matthew 11:28? I Peter 5:7?
B. PATIENCE IN YOUR ACTIVITY
- Describe John’s activity before exile on Patmos from I John 1:1-3.
- What activity was God now commanding John to do? See Revelation 1:11, 19
- How were the two activities different?
- What opportunities would John have missed had he not been willing to change activities and ministries?
III. REFOCUS THROUGH PREOCCUPATION Revelation 1:12-16
- What do the lampstands represent in Rev. 1:12? See 1:20
- Who was the one “like a son of man”? (see 1:17-18)
- From verses 12-16, how did John see Jesus as our High Priest
(compare Hebrews 4:14)? as King (compare Revelation 19:16)? as Everlasting Father
(compare Isaiah 9:6, Daniel 7:9)? as Judge (compare John 5:22)? the Living Word
(compare John 1:1-2, 14)? the Good Shepherd (compare John 10:28) the Truth
(compare John 14:6, Ephesians 6:17, Hebrews 4:12)? the Light of the World
(compare John 8:12)?
- When under pressure, with what are you preoccupied? With what was John preoccupied?
IV. REFOCUS UNTIL PROSTRATE Revelation 1:17
- What impact did the vision of the glory of Jesus Christ have on John?
- What are the primary characteristics of a dead man? Relate these characteristics to surrender to Christ.
- How did Paul have a similar experience in Galatians 2:20?
- Do you think Jesus was referring to this experience in Matthew 16:24-25?
- How does this apply to you?
- How do you think the vision of the glory of Jesus Christ helped John deal with the pressures, problems and pain in his life?
- On what are you focused?
- Would you choose to lift up your eyes and refocus on Him?