In Jesus’ day, the summer sheepfold was located in the highland pasture. It had stones from the pasture itself piled on top of each other until they formed a circular wall. The wall had one gap that served as a gate through which the sheep could enter and leave. The shepherd would lie down in the gap as a literal door to the fold. Keep in mind that the fold in this parable is the picture of a relationship with God that includes forgiveness of sin, salvation and eternal life.
I. BECAUSE JESUS SAVES YOUR LIFE – John 10:7-9
- Who did Jesus say is the Gate to the sheepfold in v.7? Put what this means into your own words.
- How is the fact that there was just one way into the “fold” confirmed by: Genesis 3:24? Genesis 6:16? Exodus 26:33?
- Explain how v/7 helps to illustrate John 14:6; Hebrews 10:19-22; John 17:2-3; Acts 4:12.
- Who are the thieves and robbers in v.8? Give phrases from 1 Peter 5:8; Matthew 7:15; Luke 20:46-47; Luke 21:8; 1 Corinthians 6:9. Name types of people today who would fit into these categories.
- What is in the sheepfold that the thieves and robbers are trying to steal? How do they do this?
- What can you do to recognize and guard against a thief or robber: Romans 16:17? Matthew 7:16-18, 21-24? Colossians 4:2? 1 Timothy 4:16?
- Describe an experience you’ve had with a thief or robber.
- How far has Jesus gone to protect and secure our place in the fold? John 10:11, 14-15. Give phrases also from: Ephesians 1:13; 1 Thessalonians 5:9; Revelation 7:10, 19:1
II. BECAUSE JESUS CHANGES YOUR LIFE – John 10:10
- Describe a life without Jesus according to Acts 26:18; Ephesians 3:12, 5:8.
- Give as many characteristics of a life without Jesus as you can from Romans 1:18-32.
- Before Jesus came into your life, what was your life like?
- In v.10, what does Jesus say He will do for you?
- How does Jesus change your life for the better, according to: John 4:13-14 with 7:38? John 8:12? 1 Corinthians 2:16? 2 Corinthians 4:6? Romans 12:2? 1 Corinthians 6:9-11? 2 Corinthians 3:18? Colossians 1:13? Ephesians 5:13-14?
- How complete is this change according to John 1:12? John 3:3-8? 2 Corinthians 5:17? Ephesians 2:19?
- What difference has Jesus made in your life?
- What changes in your life have your spouse, neighbor, children, church, or co-worker seen?
From personal experience, I can testify to the fact that my life is much better with Jesus!
Download the PDF of this Bible study here to print or email.