Read Genesis 1 with Colossians 1:15-23
I. THE REVELATION OF HIS PERSON Colossians 1:15
- Who is God, according to: Genesis 1:1, 27? Isaiah 40:28? 44:24? John 4:24? I Timothy 4:10?
- Give characteristics which reveal He is a living Person from: Genesis 2:7; 2:16; 2:21-22; 3:8; 4:16; 6:6; 11:5 example: He breathes Genesis 2:7
- How many gods are there in the universe? I Corinthians 8:6
- Has anyone ever seen God? I John 4:12
- Through Whom has He revealed Himself according to Hebrews 1:1-3? John 1:18?John 14:8-9? Colossians 1:15?
- Comparing I John 4:12, John 1:18, and Colossians 2:9, when Bible characters claimed to have “seen” God, Whom were they actually seeing?
- Can a person worship God without honoring Jesus Christ as His unique Son (such as God-fearing Muslims or Jews)? Give key phrases from John 5:19-23.
II. THE REVELATION OF HIS POWER Colossians 1:16
- Who is the Creator? Name one thing He did not create. See Col. 1:16, Ephesians 3:9; Revelation 4:11.
- What two “agents” of power does God use in Creation that He still uses today? Compare Genesis 1:2 with Acts 1:8; Genesis 1:3 with Hebrews 4:12 and Revelation 1:16.
- How many times does the phrase “and God said,” or the equivalent, occur in Genesis 1? Give the verses.
- Was “and God said” more than just a phrase of language? What explanation does John 1:1-3, 14, give?
- What preparation has to take place before the power of God’s Word can bring about change? See Genesis 1:2; Acts 1:8; John 3:5-8.
III. THE REVELATION OF HIS POSITION Colossians 1:17-19
- Who is the most important person in the universe? Give phrases from Col. 1:17-18.
- Is there anyone in the universe with greater authority? Give phrases from Matthew 28:18; Ephesians 1:19-23; John 17:2.
- What is His position according to Ephesians 1:20? Revelation 5:6? 5:13? Isaiah 6:1 with John 12:41?
IV. THE REVELATION OF HIS PURPOSE Colossians 1:20-23
- What is God’s purpose for you? See Colossians 1:20-23; Ephesians 1:4-8; Romans 8:29. Compare Genesis 1:28 with Ephesians 1:3.
- How is His purpose accomplished in your life? Give the steps:
- Can you know God personally? Compare John 3:16 with John 10:10, 27-30, and John 17:3.
- Do you know God personally?
- What will you do to get to know God better and make Him known to someone else?