Every year I receive Christmas gifts that I don’t know how to use. They usually wind up on a shelf, or in a drawer, or stored in the attic. And it has occurred to me . . . has God sent you His Gift, and you don’t know how to “use” Him either? The following reveals how practical His Gift is . . . every day.
From this passage, write a description of Bartimaeus. For example:
He was blind, meaning he probably felt lonely . . . what else?
He was sitting on the roadside, meaning he was outcast . . . what else?
He was begging, meaning he had financial needs . . . what else?
How do you relate to Bartimaeus, or who do you know who does?
I. JESUS HEARS YOUR CRY – Mark 10:46-48
- Do you think Jesus knew Bartimaeus was sitting by the roadside?
- Do you think Jesus would have stopped to help if Bartimaeus had not cried out?
- Describe a similar scene in Mark 6:47-50; in Luke 24:28-29. What does this teach you?
- Give phrases from the following verses that encourage you to cry out: Genesis 21:17-18; Exodus 3:7-10; 1 Samuel 9:16; 2 Samuel 22:7-20; 1 Kings 17:17-24; Psalm 6:9, 34:15-18, 55:16-17, 116:1-2, 145:17-19; Romans 8:15-16.
- What was Bartimaeus’ cry?
- How was he discouraged from crying out? How are you being discouraged from crying out, and who is discouraging you?
- Would you open your heart and cry out to Him now?
II. JESUS HEEDS YOUR CALL – Mark 10:49-50
- What two or more things did Jesus do in response to Bartimaeus’ cry?
- Why do you think Jesus won’t stop everything He is doing, and answer your cry?
- How does God describe Himself in Exodus 34:6? How is this description the basis of Nehemiah’s prayer in Nehemiah 9:5-37? Give the phrases with verse numbers that include the word “compassion” or “compassionate.”
- What encouragement do you receive from Isaiah 54:10? Matthew 9:36? 14:14? 15:32? 20:34? Mark 1:41? 2 Corinthians 1:3?
- Once he knew he had Jesus’ attention, what did Bartimaeus do? What do you need to “throw off” in order to experience the difference Jesus can make in your life? Hebrews 12:1; Luke 5:32; Acts 3:19; Ephesians 4:22-24; Colossians 3:8-10
III. JESUS HONORS YOUR CONFIDENCE – Mark 10:51-52
- What did Jesus ask Bartimaeus? How did Bartimaeus answer?
- What does this teach you about prayer that God answers?
- What reason did Jesus give for making a difference in Bartimaeus’ life? Give the same phrase Jesus uses in Matthew 9:27-30; Luke 7:1-10; Matthew 9:20-22, 15:21-28; Luke 17:11-19
- When you cry out to Jesus, what does He honor? Luke 17:5-6
- Does everyone who asks in faith receive exactly what they want, and if not, why? 2 Corinthians 12:7-10; Hebrews 11:32-40
In these days of uncertainty, with terrorist threats, political polarization, economic instability, and other stress points, would you take a moment to thank God for His Christmas Gift? Then call out in faith and rely on Jesus . . . every day!