Read Genesis 1
I. THE CONDITION OF THE EARTH
- From verse 2, give four descriptive words or phrases of planet Earth.
- How could each description apply to the condition of a human life?
- Whom do you know who fits this description?
II. THE PREPARATION OF THE EARTH
- From verses 1-3, what catalyst did God use to prepare the earth for change? Give other examples of change brought about by this same catalyst from: John 16:5-15; John 18:17, 25-27 and Acts 4:8, 20; 2 Corinthians 3:17-18; Romans 8:1-4, 8:5, 8:11, 8:14-16.
- What can you do to activate this catalyst in the life of the person described in paragraph I? see Mark 9:17-19,28-29; James 5:13-18; 1 Peter 4:7.
III. THE TRANSFORMATION OF THE EARTH
- From verses 3-31, how many times does the phrase “and God said” occur? Give verses.
- How many times does the phrase “and it was so” (or the equivalent) occur? Give verses.
- Does the first phrase ever occur without the second?
- What foundational principle does this teach you?
- How is this principle confirmed in: Psalm 119:89; Matthew 5:18, 24:35; 2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21; Revelation 22:6?
- List the changes that took place on planet Earth with the corresponding
- Apply each change on planet Earth to that which takes place in a human life in response to the power of God’s Spirit and Word. (example: verse 3- God’sWord brought light into the darkness. God’s Word brings the light of truth,understanding and faith into the darkness of falsity, ignorance and
- Were all these changes at one time or on a daily, progressive basis?
- Although the changes were different, what factors were consistently the same each day?
- Are these same factors present in your life? What can you do to help establish them in the life of the person described in paragraph I?
IV. THE COMPLETION OF THE EARTH
- Contrast verse 2 with verses 28-31. What are some of the most striking results of God’s activity?
- If God could change planet Earth, why do you think He is unable to bring about change in your life or that of your loved one?
- What do you need to do so that God can change you into a person in whom He can see His own image reflected?
- What was the last change God made? See verses 26-27.
- What does it mean to you to be created by God? To be created in God’s image? To be created male and female?
- What changes need to take place in your life for the Creator to say it is “very good?”