Read Matthew 24:42-51
I. BY WATCHING
- What do you think “watching” means? Write down the dictionary definition.
- What do you think Jesus means by, Keep watch, in Matthew 24:42?
- Why is this important, according to Matthew 24:42-44?
- What are some things that accompany watching, according to: Psalm 130:6? Proverbs 8:34? Micah 7:7? Habakkuk 1:5? Matthew 7:15 with 24:4, 11? Luke 21:36? Colossians 4:2?
- Substitute “church,” “family” or “America” for “Israel” in Ezekiel 33:7. What does this mean to you?
- What are some practical things you can do to pursue Jesus as a more focused and alert watchman in this generation?
II. BY WORKING
- From Matthew 24:45-47, what does Jesus want to find you and me doing when He returns?
- Is this an easy assignment? If no, why not? Give phrases from Nehemiah 4:11,19; 6:9.
- What kind of work do you think Jesus was referring to in Matthew 9:35-38? Relate this to 2 Timothy 4:5.
- Give another aspect of the work from John 6:28-29.
- How does John 9:4 imply an urgency to our work?
- What does 1 Corinthians 3:13 indicate is our motivation?
- If Jesus returns in the next five minutes, what will He find you doing?
- Would you take a moment now to ask Him to give you a work assignment–something you can do as you pursue Him that will make an eternal impact in this generation?
III. BY WALKING
- What do you think it means to walk with God? See 1 John 1:6-7; Ephesians 4:1-3; Micah 6:8. Based on this description, how does your walk measure up?
- What difference did walking with God make to Noah? Genesis 6:8-18 and 7:23
- What difference did walking with God make to Abraham? Genesis 18:16-19
- What does Jesus not want to find you doing, according to Matthew 24:48-51?
- In light of the imminent return of Christ, how are you to live? 1 Peter 4:7; 2 Peter 3:11-12; 3:14; 3:17-18
- How does the hope of the return of Christ impact our lives according to 1 John 3:3? Can you give an example of this impact from your own life?
- What are some practical things you need to do to adjust your walk to keep pace with His as you pursue Him in this generation?