I. DEFINING IT
- Using one or more phrases from each of the following verses, define the Gospel: Romans 3:23, Romans 3:10, Romans 1:18, Romans 6:23, John 3:16, I John 1:9, Revelation 3:20, John 1:12, Ephesians 1:13, Ephesians 2:8-9, 2 Corinthians 5:17.
- Read Peter’s sermon at Pentecost in Acts 2:14-36; at the temple in Acts 3:12-26; to the religious leaders in Acts 4:8-12.
- Give the main points, with verses, that are the same in each sermon.
- How do these main points define the Gospel?
- Give the phrases from Luke 24:1-7 that give these same points.
- In your own words, define the Gospel as though telling it to someone
who has never heard it.
II. DECLARING IT
- Why was Paul obligated to declare the Good News of the Gospel? Compare Romans 1:14 with I Timothy 1:12-16.
- What was Paul’s attitude about declaring the Gospel? Romans 1:15-16, II Timothy 1:8-12.
- What was Peter’s attitude about declaring the Gospel? Acts 4:20
- What was the attitude of the early Christians towards declaring the Gospel?
Give phrases from Acts 4:18-31, 5:40-42.
- How does Paul describe you and me in II Corinthians 5:20?
- What is your attitude towards declaring the Gospel? When was the last time you told someone about Jesus? Pray now and ask God to give you the opportunity this week to share the Gospel with someone who doesn’t know it – it’s your obligation and privilege!
- As you look for opportunities to share the Gospel, what encouragement do you receive from the promise in Luke 21:15? II Thessalonians 2:16-17?
III. DEFENDING IT
- How does Jude challenge you and me to defend the Gospel? Jude 3
- Why does Jude say this defense is necessary? Jude 4, 18
- How does Paul challenge us to defend the Gospel in II Timothy 1:13-14?
- What warning do we need to heed in Galatians 1:3-9? What are some “other gospels” being preached today?
- What do we need to do personally in order to be strong defensively as we share the Gospel according to Ephesians 6:10-18? Who is our adversary? See Ephesians 6:12.
In a pluralistic, politically correct, inclusive, tolerant society, what will you do to define, declare, and defend the Good News of the Gospel?
Download the PDF of this Bible study here to print or email