The redemptive power of God is highlighted by the names of women that appear in the genealogy that begins Matthew’s Gospel—a list of names that make up the extended family of Jesus.
- Give the names of the five women in Matthew 1:1-16.
- Match their names with their stories as related in the following passages: 2 Samuel 11:1-27; Joshua 2:1-24, 6:12-25; Luke 1:26-38, 2:1-7, 21-24, 39-40; Ruth 1-4; Genesis 38:11-30.
- Using your imagination, as well as the Biblical stories, what wounds did each one experience?
- Which ones were also wounders, and how did they wound others?
- What was the ultimate purpose for this family? Matthew 1:16
If God could transform these women and their families into a testimony of His amazing grace so that ultimately Jesus Christ was revealed, why do you think He can’t do the same for you and your family?
This Bible study was prepared especially for the Summer 2013 Newsletter.