Since 9/11, America’s eyes have been opened to an evil, hate-filled enemy who uses terrorism to achieve the goal of our destruction. Our newspapers, magazines, and TV talk shows have been filled with information concerning this enemy and how we should or should not defend ourselves. From time to time the entire nation is put on high alert as warnings of imminent danger are issued.
While terrorism is a real and present danger, Christians have an even more deadly enemy who is dedicated to our utter destruction. And God has put us on high alert, warning us of the daily danger of attack that we face. He has also given us instructions on how to not only defend and protect ourselves, but how to seize the offensive in order to have victory.
I. BE ALERT
A. To the Opponent
- Who is our enemy? Give his names from Genesis 3:4; Revelation 12:10; 1 Peter 5:8; 2 Corinthians 4:4, 11:14; John 8:44, 14:30; Matthew 4:3, 12:24, 13:19; Ephesians 2:2, 6:12.
- What do his names reveal about his character? About his purpose? If necessary, use a dictionary to define his names.
B.To the Opposition
- What word in Ephesians 6:12 indicates it is not easy to defeat the Devil?
- Is the opposition always obvious? Give your reasons from Ephesians 6:12 and 2 Corinthians 11:14.
- What are two of the Devil’s oldest and most effective schemes? Compare Matthew 3:17 with Matthew 4:3. What was the Devil doing? What was he inferring? Put his question in Matthew 4:3 into your own words.
- How was his attack on Eve in Genesis 3:1 similar to that in Matthew?
- What is another tactic of the Devil from Ephesians 6:16? What flaming arrows has he hurled your way?
- Describe in everyday terms how the Devil attacks relationships.
- Compare Job 1:1-11 with Zechariah 3:1. See also Revelation 12:10.
II. BE ASSURED
- When going against the Devil, what assurance does the believer have? Give phrases from Ephesians 6:10, 1:19-23; Hebrews 2:14-15; 1 John 4:4, 5:5;Revelation 12:10-11.
- What future does the Devil face according to Romans 16:20 and Revelation 20:10?
III. BE ARMED
- What is one thing that makes us vulnerable to the Devil’s attack according to Ephesians 4:26-27?
- How do we defeat the Devil in James 4:7? 1 Peter 5:8? Ephesians 6:13?
- How did Jesus defeat the Devil as recorded in Matthew 4:1-11?
- What are some of the reasons Eve did not defeat him in Genesis 3:1-6?
- How many pieces of body armor are listed in Ephesians 6:13-18? Describe the practical and spiritual use of each piece.
- How much of the armor protects the back of the warrior? What does this tell you about our position toward the Devil?
- Which pieces are for defense? Which ones are for offense?
- Which pieces are you missing?
- Write out now how you will apply and implement each piece in your life today.
In what area of your life are you experiencing difficulty? Could the difficulty be opposition, or an attack, from the Devil? Instead of being defeated, choose to be alert, be assured and be armed in order for the Devil to be defeated. For your own good and for the glory of God, praise Jesus now for the victory He has won!